The day my son was murdered

The day my son was murdered was like any other day.

My cousin was visiting me, as he does every Saturday, when I got the phone call.

To this day I wrack my brains to think who it was – but I still don’t know.

All I know is that they were hysterical. They were crying and telling me that I need to get to the hospital, Isaac was in trouble, he was hurt.

I told them that they weren’t making any sense and hung up. Then I rang his girlfriend. She was also hysterical and said I had to get to the hospital because Isaac was there.

I hung up and turned around to my cousin and said to him: “Isaac is dead.”

I can’t explain how, but in that instant, I knew my son was dead.

We went to the hospital. There were lots of police cars there, and I remember asking why.

I saw an ambulance with police tape around it and I said to my cousin again: “Isaac is dead.”

We explained to a police officer guarding the entrance to the hospital that I was Isaac’s mum and we were immediately led through to a family room.

Other family members, including my daughter, were already there.

We sat there and waited, for what felt like an eternity.

After a while it was too much and I demanded to see Isaac.

The doctor came in and told us that he was not going to beat around the bush, they’d done everything they could, but Isaac was dead.

I don’t really remember what happened after that but I know I didn’t say a word.

They say you can be in a room full of people and yet feel alone. And that’s how it felt.

There was so much going on, so much noise, so much grief, but it was all so far away.

I just waited and waited in silence. I wanted to see Isaac.

Then the doctor explained that Isaac had died of multiple stab wounds. He’d been stabbed all over, from his head down.

Up until that point I didn’t know that he had been stabbed. That was what was even more shocking to me – how he had died.

The police came in and explained that I wouldn’t be able to see Isaac that night because of their investigation into his death.

They were treating it as murder.

This is the first in a series of blog posts by Yvette Lendore, mum of Isaac Stone, as part of the Bedfordshire Police campaign against serious youth violence and knife crime.

Isaac was murdered in Bedford on 25 January 2014. He was just 19.

Read the second post in this series, ‘When everything came tumbling down’



3 thoughts on “The day my son was murdered

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s